Sunday 3 August 2014

WHAT'S THE CATCH

Tick two off and add another five to the job list, never a dull moment, that is the plan. I initially allocated two to three years for the build and I am only a couple of months into the second year and I seem to be accelerating towards the finish line.

Apart from headlights and indicators, oh and of course, wheels and fenders, the front end looks almost finished, especially now now that I've removed the plastic film from the bonnet halves and fitted the securing catches. I drilled out the holes in both parts of the catches to take M4 button head bolts and used riv-nuts in the body and bonnet to attach the catches. I was concerned that the bonnet might deform as the aluminium is only 1mm, but I found that M6 washers placed over the back of the riv-nuts, before I pulled them, made for a solid fitting.


I really fancied an oil catch tank, shown in the CBS catalogue, complete with an air filter on top. I measured carefully and yes, it would fit onto the front of the drivers side foot well bulkhead, so I ordered it. When it arrived, it was every bit as beautiful as I had hoped, but was larger than I imagined, it did fit onto the bulkhead as planned, only, the filter part was mm's away from the steering column and I thought it unlikely that the MSVA testers would like that. Instead I mounted it onto the vertical chassis rail, which gave 25mm of clearance to the steering column. I spaced out the inner fitting with a bit of ali tubing, the width of the chassis rail and again I used a penny washer on the back of that riv-nut to stiffen the fitting.


All breather pipes connected and it does look the bizz, a little over the top maybe, considering it will hardly be seen once the side panel is reattached, but I like it!

Arthur pointed out to me that I said BMW Mini when I referred to the column mounted indicator switch, I meant, of course BMC Mini.

Also sharp eyed and keen readers, might wonder how I managed to post the above two photos on the 3rd of August, when they clearly show the date as the 4th. That won't happen again, as I've reset the date and time on the camera, but the strange thing is, that the little camera that I usually take into the garage, has totally disappeared, not surprising as I spend more time looking for the right tool or part, than I do in actually fitting it, age I guess! and I am sure it will turn up in the most unlikely place.

No comments:

Post a Comment