Monday 18 August 2014

DASHING ABOUT

Having attended to some of those little outstanding jobs, I really wanted to make a start this weekend, on drilling the holes in the dash board and fitting instruments, switches and warning lights, especially as four Smiths Classic instruments arrived in the post last week.

Saturday was out of the question, as we went to the Red Bull air Race at Ascot Race Course and Sunday was an all day, birthday lunch party, but today I made a start and fitted the two main instruments, speedo and tacho, but before I post the photos of that job, a few from Saturdays outing follow.I don't as a rule put non Marjorie related photos on the blog, but on this occasion I will make an exception as it was quite a spectacle.





A strange name 'dash board' it goes back to the horse drawn era, when a a board between rear of the horse and the driver prevented mud and water splashing up on to the driver when the horse started to 'dash' along. As it was carriage builders who started to build the first cars the names for various parts were carried over and gradually the dash board became taller and joined up with a wind shield and became a convenient place to mount essential instruments.

Enough of the history lesson. After I had made a final decision on where all of the holes should be drilled, I removed the dash and started with those for the big 100mm speedo and tacho. I don't have a hole cutter this big, so I had to go down the time honoured route. First I scribed two 50mm radii circles and then a slightly smaller circle was scribed inside the first ring, dots marks was punched around this circle and a six mm drill pierced the circumference. A hack saw blade in my jig saw joined up all the holes and my flap wheel in the electric drill smoothed the cut and gradually opened out the hole so that the instruments slipped in.





I cut and drilled two securing brackets for each instrument and I used two cable ties connected together to prevent them spreading or twisting and there they were firmly secured in place.



When seated in the car both instruments are visible just under the top rim of the steering wheel, leaving room for two of the smaller instruments below and to either side and that's what I will be doing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment