Thursday 7 August 2014

A FISHY TAIL

For some while I had been scouring the internet for Brooklands style silencers with fish tail ends, I have found ideal, after market ones for Velocette motorcycles, but they are designed just to be fitted on one side of a bike. I found an ugly cast aluminium one, but eventually found these  stainless steel beauties from a kit "sports car" manufacturer who were happy to supply me. They came complete with reducers to fit my inch and a half pipes.


My piece of ali tubing came in handy again as I used a length to space the distance between the rear clamp and the side of the car. I used a length of M6 stud, a dome headed nut and a M6 riv-nut again backed by a drilled out penny washer. The result is that, in one go, the fishtail is clamped into the silencers and the whole lot rigidly fastened back to the car. Of course the drilled hole in the side of the car exactly matched where a small bulkhead is to be riveted, which necessitate a slot being cut into each of these bulkheads to accommodate the riv-nut, typical, never quite as straight forward as you think.


I need to polish up the spacer tube to look like stainless and I also feel that I would like to drill the customary holes on the outside of each fishtail, but I will mark the hole pattern onto paper first, stick it onto the fishtail and check out the appearance, before making a decision.

By the way, my little camera turned up, neatly stowed in the glove box.

Two other things, Arthur advised me that the bonnet is not as thin as I thought, it is 1.5mm thick and My Build Buddy Pete has pointed out sadly, that my beautiful bonnet catches are not MSVA compliant and I will have to change them to ones without the curled over finger hook. Ho Hum, lets hope the correct ones share the same fixing hole spacing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mac,
    I've followed your build on the 3w forums. How has the muffler worked out? I'd like to add fishtail tips or do what you did. Where did yours come from?
    Thanks,
    Fred V
    jzrusa2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fred

      The Brookland Cans and the fishtails came from Triking, but I was a bit cagey when ordering them as I thought he might not want to supply someone building a competitors kit. Not a problem though as I returned to Triking to supply a rear brake/hand brake caliper and back plate.
      If you read on you will see the saga unfold. I first drilled out fishtails and then gradually unstuffed the fibre glass wadding that I had initially thought necessary. The engine lacked pulling power and I realised that there was too much back pressure, there is a substantial blat on full throttle now, but totally acceptable at normal throttle, but she really pulls, I had almost 90MPH showing on the speedo the other day.
      I will hopefully leave this comment on your blog to ensure you get it. Cheers Mac

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mac. Triking now wants 450 pounds for those. I think I'll just make some fishtail tips for my shorty mufflers.

      A friend rented went to the UK and rented a canal boat for 2 weeks and loved it.

      My other passion is British narrow gauge rail. I've built 6 miniature live steam engines; all are British NG. Had many Brit sports cars too.
      My best to you,
      Fred V

      Delete