Thursday 24 July 2014

SPARKS FLYING

The next job on my list was the first of the dreaded ones, 'Sort out the electric box'!!

I started by removing the box and enlarging the two main holes at front and rear, but of course, to get the box out I had to first remove the exhaust pipe and the side panel. I had previously cut the new hole to the rear, but realised that it was a tight squeeze getting the four large bundles of cables through to underside of the dash, especially as I had yet to line the hole with rubber U channel, hence the need to get the electric file out.

That done I fitted riv-nuts to the back and bottom of the box and attached the block of relays and fuses to the back and the engine management box to the bottom. I then realised that before I put the box back into the car, I must first glue and rivet the left foot well bulkhead in place, so what was going to be a ten minute job, turned into a couple of hours. The plus side was that with the very warm weather the adhesive, sealant came out of the cartridge much more willingly, with the result that more overspill had to be cleaned up with copious quantities of white spirit.

The long bundle of cables that would eventually connect up to the rear lights and indicators at the rear of the car, also carried the cables that originally connected to the foot brake warning light switch. Obviously these cables needed to be rerouted to the pedal box under the bonnet,so the plastic sheath had to be split along its length and the required cables seperated out. I needed to splice one of them and my little gas soldering iron and heat shrink sleeving did a secure and neat job. The remaining exposed bundle of cables I rebound with self-amalgamating tape, which when stretched as you pull it tight around the cables, releases a resin and makes a watertight seal. This rebound part of the loom was also passed through the rear opening, beginning its journey to the back of the car


The box was starting to look tidy, but I still had to make the connection with the pedal box and all the other engine connection, although one or two cables were exactly the right length, for instance the wires to the starter and starter solenoid were perfect, just requiring a couple of cable ties to secure, but at least I have made a start and was very pleased with my first soldered connection

No comments:

Post a Comment