Friday 27 June 2014

REVERSING FORWARD

A change of plan, as I said, my next job was to fit the exhaust pipe to the right side of Marjorie, but an email from Arthur confirmed that the reversing gearbox and brackets were ready, the two fixing brackets would need painting but if I was prepared to do that, then come and collect.

So I did, the project is really moving forward now. The box is like a piece of sculpture, all shiny black, with highly polished flanges and bolts that will attach the prop shafts. Seems a pity that it will be hidden under the tunnel cover,  but I will be able to visually enjoy it for some time yet, before it is buried from view.



It will be a fairly big job as the engine will need to be craned forward a few inches so that the spline on the front end of the forward shaft can slide into the matching spline in the gear box. Some engine connection will have to be detached, such as fuel lines and throttle cable, but others, like the clutch cable have enough slack to allow the engine to come forward, but it will be gently as you go.

I should explain the need for a reversing gearbox. Almost all motorbikes only have forward gears, the big Honda Gullwing is an exception with a electric reversing arrangement. The original Morgan three wheeler certainly had no reverse, but common sense insisted that you carried a passenger who would climb out and provide the rear propulsion when required. The new Morgan three wheeler has overcome this problem by marrying a motorbike engine to a car gearbox taken from the Mazda MX5, however this marriage is not without a few problems although you don't now need to carry a passenger. My new box sits part way between the engine/gearbox and the back wheel and I simple push a lever forward and the car will go backwards, simples. Need to clear my calender and then I can get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment