Thursday 26 June 2014

HI HO HI HO IT'S OFF TO WORK WE GO

Okay, Okay! I'm back from our extended holiday in Europe and Marjorie has at last seen the light of day, when I swung open the garage door she would have blinked if she had had her eyes fitted, but her wishbones were spread in welcome. Thanks to Doug W and another Anonymous commentator, for urging me to get on with the project.

So work has begun, rather boringly. Yesterday I finished fixing and trimming the bottom J section aluminium strip to the right side. This time I got all the holes in the right place, except two of them coincided with the large rivets that were used to fix the bottom panel in place and the riv-nuts wouldn't sit flush as they fouled the rivets. I tried pulling them up with the riv-nut setting tool, but that didn't work and I had to drill them out. I then put a drill through the riv-nut hole and drilled of some of the protruding rivet and then all went well.



As on the other side, I cut off the excess with a cutting disc in the angle grinder and trimmed both ends to shape with my power file, finally smoothing the edges with emery paper.

Next job is to fit the exhaust pipe clamps, it should be easier this time as I can take the measurements from the other side, at least I know I won't have to struggle to get the pipe to fit onto the header pipe.

I almost forgot to say, my build buddy Pete, put his MG3 in for it's MVSA test and it passed with flying colours, congratulations and well done Pete.


1 comment: