Sunday 29 June 2014

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES

The lies were mine, bigging up the job of attaching the reversing gearbox. I'll explain, starting from the back end.

I decided to trial fit the box and shafts, before I painted the attachment brackets. First to be bolted on to the rear bulkhead, was the, self aligning bearing, this supports the rear prop shaft where it connects to the shaft which runs up inside the right side of the swing arm, which in turn connects to the final drive box, which turns the rear driving wheel, still with me? I had to trim back the rubber shroud, leaving, I hope just enough protruding through the bulkhead to stop water and dirt from getting in.




 I then passed the end of the prop shaft through the bearing, but couldn't get it to locate into the final drive shaft, so I unbolted the bearing and slipped it over the prop shaft and then located the splines with those of the final drive shaft. Now I was able to bolt the big bearing back to the bulkhead.



I then attempted to bolt the front end of this shaft to the reversing box, which was loosely positioned on it's plinth, the first two bolts went in, but I couldn't get the next two to located when I realised that the holes were not concentric, I turned the shaft a quarter turn and all the bolts located, silly me. I then turned my attention to the front prop shaft, which was already connected to the engines gear box, but when I offered it's rear end to the reversing box there  was a substantial gap, fortunately I then realised that the front end of the rear shaft extended and the gap was closed and making no mistakes this time, the four bolts secured the shaft to the box.


Enlightenment dawned when I turned the rear wheel and both shafts, either side of the reversing box turned, the bikes gearbox was obviously in neutral; I was not going to have to move the engine forward at all, now that's a result!


I took it all apart so that I could paint the support brackets, happy in the knowledge it would take very little effort to connect it all up again. I then set about applying the first coat of Smooth Hammerite to the brackets.


No comments:

Post a Comment