Sunday 4 May 2014

EXHAUST RING X 2

I couldn't put it off any longer, the header pipe and exhaust ring for the right side of the car continue to grin at me, reminding me of the hard amount of filing that was needed to fit the other ring to the car's left side.

I clamped the ring in the vice and started filing, turning it around and around, I then used the flap wheel which polished up the high spots so I knew where to apply the file. When I offered up the ring to the pipe it slipped up to the first bend, but no further.


More filing and flapping and it went around the first bend and on and up around the final bend and it was there. Hooray! I fitted the pipe to the head, adjusted the angle and tightened the domed nuts, now the front end looks balanced.



I decided reluctantly to offer up the side pipe to the header pipe, remembering what a struggle the other side had been, but to my amazement it slipped right on, all the way onto the header pipe. Wow! That's a result.

Next job is to fit the side panel and the bottom J section edging strip, I am hoping that that goes as well as it did on the left side, fingers crossed.


2 comments:

  1. I have spent the last hour or so looking through your blog, it's great to see your kit being built, I have been in touch with Arthur with regards to building one of his cars quite recently, and I am looking for a reasonable garage locally to use, I'm only down the road from you in Epsom and it's good to know that there are others with the same interest quite near by. Great blog, I will be visiting again.

    Regards

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John
    Good to know that the blog is not only enjoyable for me to record the build pf my MG3, but also useful to others, like yourself, who are considering doing the same thing.
    As you probably gathered from the blog I am having so much pleasure in the build and now is a good time to buy from Arthur as he pretty much has in stock all additional parts you will need, that I have had to wait so long for. Good luck looking for a garage/workshop.
    Cheers

    Mac

    ReplyDelete