Friday 23 May 2014

DASH IT

Thank you Arthur and Anonymous for your kind comments re. my shiny nose, I can't wait to attach the mesh grill and see it all in position, but that will have to wait until I return from holidaying in the South of France. In the meantime I am catching up with the blog of jobs done before I left the UK, as sadly it is pouring with rain here, however I don't expect any sympathy or concern.

I cut out lots of different sized circles in paper, to represent instruments, switches and warning lights. I stuck them on to my lovely engine turned dash with blue tack, hopefully in about the desired position, but realised when I offered up the dash to the scuttle that the steering column is set to the right of the aperture, this is to allow room for the column mounted indicator switch, I also realised that the right side looked a bit unbalanced.


Next I marked the fixing holes, drilled into the fibre glass scuttle and fastened the M5 riv-nuts in place and bolted the dashboard to the scuttle. I then did a bit of re-organising of my bits of paper and I think I've got it about right now, but I won't be drilling any holes until I have a steering wheel in place


Last job before I went packed up my tools was to cut and fit the stainless steel braid breather pipes to the rocker cover and gearbox. I still have the big engine breather to consider, but eventually they will terminate in a catch tank mounted on the front of the right bulkhead.


The really final job was to connect up the front break hoses. There was a tip on the QUEST TV channel where a guy is building a Westfield and he said don't tighten and bleed the brakes until the wheels and fenders are in place, as you may well have to adjust the lines to prevent them touching anything on lock to lock, a tip I will take.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing build. I am wanting to slowly build a morgan 3 wheeler knock off in my shop, but am only in the "imagineering" stage. I'm also fairly inexperienced mechanically, but I come from a long line of gearheads and I'm willing to make a LOT of mistakes, so reading your blog has been immensely helpful in helping my initial planning and getting an idea of what a build like this entails. Thanks! You keep posting and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete