Saturday 19 April 2014

PANDORAS BOX OF BITS AND OTHER PARTS

Well! this Good Friday lived up to it's name, a trip to Ditchling resulted in a pile of parts. Arthur also answered several queries and having collected the beautiful chromed wishbones on Thursday I couldn't wait for Saturday morning to arrive and get started on sorting it all out.



First thing was to lay out all the bits to photograph and then store safely way those bits that I shan't be working with straight away, like the splendid engine turned dashboard.

Despite my best intention to finish several other little jobs, I couldn't resist pressing the rubber bushes into the end of the wishbones. I protected the chrome with a thickly folded dust sheet before I clamped the wishbones down and using washing up liquid as a lubricant, I tightening a nut onto a bolt which pressed the bush home, for the last little bit I put a large socket over one end which allowed an equal amount of bush to protrude from each end of the tubes.


Top and bottom wishbones were easily bolted onto the chassis after I removed some powder coating from the bolt holes. It was a good thing I took plenty of photos of Arthur's demonstrator to ensure I got the spacers in the correct position. I had a little panic wondering how I was going to compress the coil springs onto the shock absorbers, when I realised that the shocks weren't fully extended, then there was plenty of space to fit the top spring support over the coil spring, silly me.



Top photo shows the steering track rod extender screwed onto the track rod, well where else would it go? Photo also shows the top wishbone ball joint in place. Now I need to work out how the hub carrier and the remaining ball joints all fit together. In the meantime it's a trip to Essex to take the GRP engine cowling to be chrome sprayed, it's really starting to look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment