Wednesday 30 April 2014

LOST AND FOUND

Another trip down to Ditchling last week brought forth my gear change linkage and stub axles, these were not ready last week as the first was still being powder coated and the axles were having the hole for the split pin drilled.


I had a big worry when I visited Arthur; when I had came to assemble the right side hub, I couldn't find the remaining brake caliper bracket, Arthur assured me that he had supplied me with a pair and it wasn't until I had a grand tidy up of the garage on Saturday morning and I started to break down boxes, I found it lurking underneath a folded in lid flap, Phew! I was so relieved.


I'm not going to permanently fit the stub axles until I am ready to fit the wheels and lift it off the trestles and this won't be until almost every aspect of the build is complete as it it so much more comfortable for my old bones and muscles to work at this height. The photo shows the axle and the freshly, black painted upright and as you can see, to leave the axle in place would seriously compromise the safety of the crown jewels as I move around the limited space of my garage.




 I did finish off fitting and trimming the ends of the J section to the bottom of the left side. My new, Aldi,belt sander worked well, after I first removed the majority of the surplus metal with cut off and grinding discs in the angle grinder, I also filed out a section in the trim so that it would neatly fit over the front panel flange. the trim still need to be smoothed down and polished, but I won't do that until the car is all but finished as it will surely collect more scratches in the meantime.


The very last hole, I sadly drilled in the wrong place, still mistakes do happen. Now I have to think how best to fill it, maybe I will just cut the head of a screw and glue the head in place and pretend that it needed the additional strength to hold the end of the trim in place, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment