Wednesday 30 April 2014

ALL GEARED UP

Now that the left side panel and trim were fitted, albeit temporarily, I decided to attach the stainless side pipe to the header pipe, easier said than done!

I first cut a long slot on what would be the the inside of the wider part that should slip over the end of the header pipe, I filed and sanded that end and kept on trial fitting the pipe, Gradually the side pipe went on almost all of the way and then it stuck fast with a quarter of an inch still to go and completely at the wrong angle. I tried heat and ice to loosen the grip, but eventually it was a liberal dose of WD40 and a lot of wriggling that got it to come free. More vigorous filing and use of the flap wheel and at last it went on all the way and I was able to twist it to the right angle, exhausting work and again my hands started to cramp up, but it's a great feeling when you can walk away with the jod done.


To pull the side pipe up and into the correct position it will initially be under tension, so I decided not to attache the two clamp just to the thin aluminium side panel, but rather bolted through, the conveniently placed, internal chassis uprights, but I need longer bolts for this and I am now awaiting for Westfield Fasteners to deliver.





When I picked up the gear linkage from Arthur's I took loads of photos of one that he had set up on a new chassis, glad I did, it looked tres complicated. It all connected together easily enough, but without the photos it would have taken some puzzling. Just got to get the adjustment done and cut off the head of the long bolt that is the gear lever, thread it and fit an appropriate gear knob.

No comments:

Post a Comment