Thursday 24 April 2014

A TOPPING DAY

I laid out all the remaining suspension parts for the left side. First the upright or hub carrier with it's tophats, these are the tapered insets that sit in the top and bottom of the upright and into which the tapered pin from the top and bottom ball joints locate, They are called tophats because that is what they resemble, very logical is the naming of car parts, wishbones also look just like wishbones and there are many more examples.



In the photo the steering arm is next, this joins the steering rack to the suspension, then follows the very lightweight brake calliper bracket, which connects the four pot brake calliper to the upright and finally the brake disc which will eventually be screwed to the inside hub of the spoked wheel.

I rummaged through a bag of assorted nut, bolts, washers and spacers and gradually worked out want went where. When it was all loosely  bolted in place I roughly eyeballed and adjusted the camber and toein, but this can only be done properly when the wheels are on with a spirit level and straight lengths of timber, even then I will probably get it down to my local tyre fitter for proper adjustment.



I only loosely bolted up, as I then removed the uprights to give them a coat of black paint, but before that I decided to fit the left side exhaust header pipe. I had realised that my recently chromed exhaust ring would not slide over the beautiful new pipe so I set about it with a round file and flap wheel in the electric drill and finally the ring slipped over the pipe, but not around the bends, more vigorous filing and flap wheeling and it went all the way.


Just got to do the other side now, not looking forward to that as I got cramp in the fingers of my right hand from all the filing, got to be done though.

The missing bonnet is because the engine cowling has been left with Chrome Sprayers in Basildon, for, what else, to be sprayed chrome, it will be ready in a fortnight.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Id just like to say a big thankyou for how helpfull this blog is as I too am building a BRA CX3 from plans that Im modding to take a Guzzi donk
    Excellant work keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dave for your kind words, I hope you are enjoying your project as much as I am.
    Cheers
    Mac

    ReplyDelete