Monday 17 February 2014

THROTTLED BUT NOT CHOKED

Having safely returned from a weeks skiing, I had a trip down to CBS (Car Builder Solutions) in Kent end of last week, fortunately the flooding had receded otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get passed Yalding, I returned with all sorts of essential bits and bobs.

First job was to drill holes for the riv-nuts that would take the six M6 bolts that would secure the petrol tank to the chassis. I hadn't had to fit rev-nuts yet, as Arthur had ensured that all the important ones were in place when he delivered the kit. I had though, bought the special cutters that would drill very clean, burr free holes that the riv-nuts required and also the special tool that would set the riv-nuts into those holes.



I tried out the tools on a bit of scrap aluminium and when happy I set to work on the car and fortunately I managed to get the holes in the two flanges of the tank to line up with the riv-nuts. I applied strips of self adhesive 6mm thick foam to the underside and the back of the tank to reduce vibration and bolted it down .Part of my purchases from CBS was stainless braided fuel hose and a fuel tap, a short length of hose was used to attach the tap to the hose-tail which I screwed into to the tank ready to connect to the fuel pump and the carbs at a later date.


I turned my attention to connecting the throttles to the pedal. The cables from the two carbs become one, but that was far two long, so I cut back the outer cable and re-threaded the inner cable through an adjuster and using a screw on nipple, job done. The excess inner cable was neatly coiled, but will probably be trimmed back at some stage once I am happy with final  adjustment.


I still have to connect the choke cables, but can't do that until I have the dashboard, then the head scratching will begin in earnest as I decide where the instruments, warning lights and switches need to be positioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment