Monday 24 February 2014

JOINED UP

An email to Arthur and his response, put me right, the brake line to the rear brake wasn't too short, I had just taken it the long way round, that sounds about right for me, but I do get there eventually.




I re-routed the line, as instructed to the rear of the master cylinder, P clipped it to a conveniently placed riv-nut, at the top of the pedal box, almost certainly placed there for that very purpose. The line will drop into the top of the transmission tunnel and I clipped it to the underside of the top rail where it neatly connected to the bulkhead fitting, job done.



When I last visited Arthur he gave me two large nuts for locking the swing arm bearings. The nuts were the same size as the dome headed ones I had to undo on the bike, for those I had bought a 30mm socket, so I was pleased that I would be using it again. I had previously adjusted the bearings to give the right amount of play, but I knew that when I tightened the locking nut it would probably also tighten the bearings, I marked the end of one of the bearing and observed how far it had turned after I had tightened the lock nut, I released the lock nut, returned the bearing to it's correct position and backed it off by the same amount that it had moved on. I re-tightened the nut and my mark was back in the right place. The same on the other side and another job bites the dust.



Last job for the day was to fit the little locking catches to the rear cubby-hole doors. CBS had been able to supply me with three locks all with matching keys, the other lock will be for the glove box in the dashboard. One of my special cutters made exactly the right size holes in the doors, these cutters are going to be great when it time to fit warning lights and switches to the dashboard. The locks were quickly fitted, but I was scratching my head as to how to make them latch securely, there was a 3-4mm gap between the latch and the back of the panel, but a short length of thick rubber tubing slipped over the latch, solved the problem, I am sure there must be a neater way of doing this, like cutting and sticking something of the equivalent thickness to the back of the panel, but my quick fix will do for now.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment