Wednesday 19 February 2014

PUMPED UP

I had to do a bit of re-organising under the bonnet, probably the first of many such exercises. On my petrol tank, the outlet is on the right side whereas on Arthur's demonstrator, the outlet is on the left. I had fitted the  coil pack on the right, so between that and the pedal box it was going to be a tight squeeze to get the fuel pump in. I decided to separate the coils and remount the left one on the left side, this should enable me to mount the pump and get a relatively straight run for the fuel hose.

 

I had used rubber bobbins to  mount the coils, but for the pump I decided to use rubber riv-nuts, which I thought would give a neater installations, but still reduce vibration. As with the steel riv-nuts I had used for the petrol tank I tried out which size cutter I needed on a piece of scrap, Having got it right in practice I marked and cut the two holes, a little filing and the two rubber riv-nuts were pushed in. You need longer bolts as the threaded portion is set well down into the nuts, but I had a couple of hex headed 6mm bolts long enough to do the job and all was secured .


CBS give good tips in their catalogue and one is how to cut braided hose, I followed the tip and it worked a treat. wrap masking or insulation tape around where you want to cut,  clamp one end in a vice, apply tension to the other end of the hose and with a disc cutter in an angle grinder simple cut through. I wound insulation tape either side of my mark and cut between the two bits of tape, leaving both ends neatly wrapped. Any stray bits of braid can be snipped off with cutter, and Bob's your Uncle. The last bit of advise is to flush through the cut hose with thinners to ensure that no rubber or stainless swarf is left inside the hose.


All is now connected, but I need a few more hose finishers to complete the job, these hide the jubilee clips and the cut end of the hoses. I also need to re-route the clutch and throttle cables to pass under the fuel pump, I think that will be neater, see I said that there will be more re-organising required.

No comments:

Post a Comment