Monday 2 December 2013

TOPS ON

Last Wednesday I collected my bits from Dave at www.tsrvapourblasting.co.uk and I wasn't disappointed. Shiny bright, thanks Dave. He assures me that the carbs have been reset to pre. dissasembly setting since emerging from the ultra-sonic bath, but may need slight adjustment once engine is running.



The photos show the newly cleaned parts, plus the new carb filters, oil line to rockers and polished ali alternator cover. Time to put it all back together again. First on was the sump pan, not forgetting the new oil filter and then the laborious task of valve grinding, thankfully only four valves.
Valves were reinstalled using my trusty old valve spring compressor and plenty of oil down the valve guides.


I have plenty of piston ring compressors, ranging from small, which must have been for my first Villiers powered 2 stroke motor bike, up to a big bugger which was probably for my AJS 500cc single, anyway it has marked on it 2/6d so I have had it a long time. A slightly longer screw to hold it together and it slipped over these 530cc pistons a treat. The weight of the cylinder sliding down the studs was sufficient to push the compressor to the bottom of the piston where I unscrewed the clamping screw and gently pulled the compressor out around the studs. Off course I had to raise the engine to give clearance for the cylinders and heads to drop into place, but it all went very smoothly.




 Fortunately I had not forgotten the two O rings which go over the top and bottom studs before the cylinders are dropped on, and then the other 4 O rings are placed over the other studs before the rocker cradle is postioned over them and the whole lot is bolted down to 30psi, that was after the engine was lowered and secured in the chassis.


 I oiled the ends of the push rods and located them down their respective shafts before the rocker gear was installed, again using a liberal amount of oil over the securing pins. Just remains to adjust the tappets and refit the rocker covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment