Saturday 9 November 2013

THE SHINING 2

I'm useless! In my keenness to get out to the garage and get to work I keep forgetting to take the camera, so apologises no photos of this bit.

I decided it was time to clean up the crankcase and gearbox and the best way to do this was to haul the engine out off the chassis and rest it on my workmate. I plugged all the open orifices to prevent dirt getting into the engine and went to work with my electric drill, driven assortment of wire brushes, within a few hours work the old bubbled paint and crud was removed. My Dremel, with a variety of small brushes got into all of the nooks and crannies and I now have a shiny engine.

I lifted the engine down to ground level and liberally sprayed it with water soluble de-greaser which I brushed vigorously before hosing it off. I dried the engine using the compressor air line and then lifted it back into the chassis. My £130 engine lift is definitely proving to be one of my better cheap purchases.

I will soon remove the heads, cylinders, and sump and together with the carbs I will take them to www.tsrvapourblasting.co.uk in Sevenoaks, for cleaning. They recommend, ACF-50 a compound which is used in the aviation industry to prevent corrosion, this is apparently ideal for keeping that just blasted look on aluminium cases and I will be using this to hopefully keep the engine sparkling.

No comments:

Post a Comment