Thursday 3 October 2013

OH!! THE SUSPENSION

I couldn't wait until the chassis was turned over so I decided to install the rear suspension and drive shaft whilst it was still upside down.

A new tub of grease purchased and grease gun filled, I liberally anointed the UV joint, the swing arm bearing and pins with grease. the UV joint was placed in its housing in the swing arm which the rubber boot held in place. I then lined up the bearing with the nuts welded into the chassis, an 8mm allen key screwed the pins through the nuts and into the bearings, after ensuring that there was an equal gap each end between chassis and swing arm, I screwed in the bolts until tight and then backed off sufficiently to allow the arm to freely move up and down.



The shock absorber was bolted back on to one side, before I slid the drive shaft up into the other side of the swing arm and with a little wriggling it slipped into the end of the UV joint. I apologise for not taking any photos of the process, but my hands were a bit greasy at the time.


The final job was to offer up the drive box to the swing arm, again the sliding sleeve and the splines were well greased and it slipped together quite easily. I remembered to push the axle rod through the end of the swing arm and into the drive box before I fully tightened the four bolts that secured it all together, this was to ensure that everything was correctly lined up. The other shock absorber was fitted between the drive box and the chassis, a quick clean up and the job was done, just need to paint the hub of the rear wheel and get the correct flat profile tyre fitted.


No comments:

Post a Comment