Wednesday 16 October 2013

WHEELIE TYRED

My local tyre supplier did me proud, £10 to remove the old tyre and fit and balance the new one, maybe that was because they were interested in what I was doing and asked that I drop by and show them the finished car in due course.


Back in my garage, I greased the final drives splined cog that connects to the wheel and rolled the wheel under the chassis. As the car is on trestles it's quiet a long way up from the ground to the final drive so I passed a strap over the top frame rail and down and around the rim of the wheel, as I shortened the strap it pulled the wheel up to the right level and with a bit of jiggling the wheel connected to the drive box.



The axle rod was also greased, passed through the hole in the swing arm, on through the brake back plate and into the wheel. A tap with the rubber mallet had the other end of the rod protruding out of the drive box awaiting its big domed nut. Everything tightened up and job done.




However the back plate will eventually be replaced with a new one designed to take not only the main brake caliper but a handbrake caliper.

1 comment: