Monday 21 September 2015

THE GREAT COVER UP

Marjorie has lived up to all of my expectations. I have now covered about four hundred miles since she went for her MOT back in mid April, not that much really, but enough to know that she is completely reliable.

The sensitive steering issue was resolved by reducing the air pressure in the front tyres, just under 20psi and she now tracks steadily.

The other issue was 'To use the fuel pump, or not to use the fuel pump'. With a full tank there was sufficient head to give an adequate fuel supply at all throttle positions, without the use of the pump.  Anything less than half a tank. I needed the pump, otherwise the engine would fluff on full throttle. I nearly always prod the throttle pedal when changing down to smooth out the changes, but with clutch depressed on coming to a standstill there was always the possibility that the engine would cut out. The pump was definitely over fuelling, particularly the left carb, I think the fuel pressure would overcome the float pressure on the needle valve and flood the carb, if I remembered I would switch off the pump and hopefully remember to switch back on as I accelerated away.


 

Now with the regulator fitted and set to 1.5 bar and the pump permanently switched on, absolutely no problem. No matter what speed I slow from, the engine settles into a steady tick over. Should I inadvertently stall the engine, the engine restarts immediately, it is now very reassuring in traffic and no sign of fuel starvation at continuous high speed. It took a bit of re-routing of the fuel line and the pump is now bolted down to the top of the electric box, but should I need to access the box it would only need the fuel line to be disconnected between the pump and the fuel tap.

So many people have said 'Don't paint her, she looks great as she is' I decided to take that advice, but instead to have a tourneau cover made.


Brendan at Oxted Trimmers discussed the best way to fit the cover and sent me away with a couple of dozen pegs that the 'lift the dot' fasteners would clip over and advise as to the position and spacing of the pegs.

I used making tape to to help me mark out the position and used riv-nuts to screw the pegs into the fibre glass and the ali side panels. A week or so later I drove Marjorie back over to Oxted and left her for the day, on my return there she sat with her cockpit tightly cocooned in black mohair.


The very next day I went to visit a chum to see his latest acquisition, a JBA Falcon Sport and was invited in for coffee when it started to rain. When eventually I left, after unzipping the drivers side of the cover, I had a lovely dry cockpit to slip into.

I am not sure how many fine, dry days are left to enjoy Marjorie this year, but at least if it does rain whilst we are out, the cockpit will be dry when it stops raining and it's time to go home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, is the morgan replica for sale,I've been looking for one but unsuccessful so far? Regards Rod 07967155736

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rod

    If you go to my last post on this blog you will see that Marjorie has been sold to make way for latest project, a Triumph Stag. There has been one for sale through Sovereign Cars in Hampshire, Same kit finished one year earlier than mine. Good hunting.
    Cheers Mac

    ReplyDelete