Monday 29 December 2014

READY FOR LIFT OFF

Just before Christmas I manage to sneak into the garage and get the cable for the rear pork pie lights P clipped down to the rear of the chassis and out the back, ready to connect to the lights. I also mounted the lights onto the highly polished, aluminium, rear light/numberplate board, but as yet I haven't got around to connecting them up, still that won't take long. However although the front of the board is mirror polished, the back isn't and as much of it is visible, I will have to take it off, at some point and polish the back side.


What had been occupying my mind, was the best way to lift Marjorie of the trestles. I had worked out that with a bit of help I could get my engine crane down the side of the garage so that with a couple of straps I should be able to lift her up, remove the trestles and gently lower her onto her wheels.

In readiness I bought a couple of ratchet adjustable straps from Machine Mart, they are actually for tying down a motorbike onto a trailer, but I was advised that they would be good for the job, each strap rated for 500kg and the car weighing in at less than 450kg they would be fine. On Saturday my mate Colin came round and he was easily persuaded to give me a hand in manoeuvring the crane into place and we discussed various options for dropping Marjorie in stages. The next day I messed about with the crane and repositioned the trestles as far to each end of the car as possible, allowing maximum adjustment of the cranes position to ensure that I got the balance position about right.


I placed clamps onto the bottom rail to stop the straps from slipping closer together, but when the straps met overhead and clipped onto the cranes hook, the front strap passed over the scuttle. I removed the little Brookland Screens and the steering wheel, but I was concerned that damage to the scuttle would occur as the weight of the car was taken.



Another trip to Machine Mart produced a Load Leveller, which is intended for lifting engine/gearboxes in and out of a car, again it was good for 500kg and as the above pictures show it's good for the job. At 730mm in length it straddles the scuttle and fuel tank and with a small adjustment to the length of the front strap the car now lifts cleanly off the trestles. I am sure that the load leveller will come in handy for further engine removals on future projects, as I am afraid to say that the car building/restoration bug has bitten hard. The revised plan is now for a one stage lower to the ground, but with the front wheels onto ramps, which will make it easier to extract the crane legs from under the car. A quick final lift at the front to remove the ramps and we're there, ready to start the engine and drive out of the garage, to the flashing of cameras, popping of champagne, a roll of drums and much applause, must stop dreaming.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mac, hope that you and Marjorie (sorry Jaquie!) had a good Christmas and that 2015 comes in with a bang and goes out very peacefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,

    In fact Marjorie had a rather miserable Christmas, left to her own devises in the garage, but Jacquie and I had a lovely one at our new in-laws home in Staines. I'm glad to see you had a warm family Christmas and we wish you good cruising in 2015. Cheers Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. We have seen that you have built up a Morgan three wheeler replica and I want to build one myself, but I don't have drawings and plans. .. If you have drawings and plans for its construction could you please send them by e-mail to me ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. We have seen that you have built up a Morgan three wheeler replica and I want to build one myself, but I don't have drawings and plans. .. If you have drawings and plans for its construction could you please send them by e-mail to me ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Manuel
    Thanks for you comment and glad that you are interested in building a three wheeler, but mine has been built up from a kit. Chassis, GRP moldings and aluminium panels plus all front suspension. If you go right to the beginning of the blog. June 2013 you will see how the build started.

    Sorry I can't be more help than that. Cheers Mac

    ReplyDelete