Monday 10 November 2014

THE FINAL FUSE

Finally I have the electrics sorted, not totally, as I am waiting for a replacement column mounted switch to arrive, as to put it bluntly I buggered the original one, but at least I know exactly where each wire needs to go.

I eventually traced the short circuit down to the front right indicator light, I had stupidly connected the supply to the earth, no wonder fuses kept popping. Although I now had a working circuit on both left and right indicators, I couldn't get the switch to work, probably burnt it out, anyway whilst I was puzzling over it, I saw exactly where the connection for the flasher needed to go, so no need for a separate switch on the dash, just need the new column switch.

The last thing to tackle was the hazard warning switch. With the old bike switch still attached, I pushed the button and great, all the lights flashed, so I snipped off the wires and connected them to the new switch in accordance with the wiring diagram in the CBS cataloge and again great, all the lights flashed, until I turned off the ignition. Bugger, the hazard lights also need to flash with ignition turned off and there is a permanently life wire to the switch; back to the wiring diagram again. I eventually worked out that I needed to run a wire from the switch, that would become life when the switch was depressed, this would go to the supply side of the flasher unit and would power the flasher unit when the supply from the ignition ignition was turned off.


I routed a wire with temporary connections to the flasher unit and hazard switch end and it worked. Hooray. I made proper connections, tidied everything up, taping loose cables etc and did a final check that all lights and instruments worked and then I put the top back onto the electric box. Job done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment