Tuesday 16 September 2014

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION

Nothing for, it was under the dash board I would go. I started with the really thick bundle of plastic sheathed cabling that would connect with terminals A & B, that emerged from the electric box, under the dash. I stripped off the sheath exposing all the cables and gently teased them out to their full length and it looked as if pretty much all the cables were long enough to reach their intended destination.


I started with the ignition switch, which had the same 1/4 spade connectors as the bike switch, so that would mean just swapping switches. I had though, spent along time with a magnifying glass and ruler tracing where each wire came from and with a multi meter on 'BUZZ' I worked out which cable connected to which terminal on the switch, that was relatively easy.


The lighting wire to the speedo and all the connectors for the tacho quickly connected, no problem.

Next was the eight warning lights, again I had worked out which coloured cable went to which light. This time I would have to change the connectors to 1/4 spade from the 3/16 ones on the end of each cable, a couple of times I forgot to slip the insulating sleeve on before crimping the connector, but fortunately there was just enough spare wire to do it again, with insulating sleeve in place. Six of the lights are grouped fairly close together and the wires reached the warning lights connectors without difficulty. I did have to extend the wires to the two indicator warning lights as they were placed either side of the steering wheel.


The only item left to connect from this bundle is the switch for the Hazard Warning Indicators, but I've left this for the time being and concentrated on tidying up the cables by stuffing them into the split, corrugated tubing, the above photo shows the first few inches inside the tube.


 At last all the cables were in and the tube was cable tied every few inches to prevent any escapes, a final cable tie secured it all to the cross chassis rail and connectors A & B were pushed together.  Lighting and start switches are next on the agenda, but at least I have begun to tame Spaghetti Junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment