Saturday 13 September 2014

NO MORE GUESSING

It was time for 'Fuel Gauge Sender' to be fitted. This bit of kit comprised a plastic float, some long length of stiff wire and a circular disc with the mystery boxy part attached underneath, I've no idea how it works and holes drilled around the rim, oh, I nearly forgot, a circular cork gasket.


The tank had to be removed so that I can access the rear of the dash board for when I start wiring up, ( next job, can't put it off any longer ) this made life easier, as the area where the sender was to fitted had to ground smooth as the propellor pattern would prevent a fuel tight seal. I decided where I was going to fit the sender, drew a circle around the gasket and set to with a, not to aggressive, flap wheel on the angle grinder and when I was happy that the surface within the circle was flat, I drew another circle around the inside of the gasket, dot punched and drilled just inside this circle. A hack saw blade in my jigsaw joined up the holes and small flap wheel in the electric drill, smoothed it out .

I marked the first fixing hole, drilled and fitted a countersunk 4mm riv-nut. I find it more accurate to firmly attache an item by one screw, before drilling the rest of the holes, this usually results in them all lining up accurately and this is what I now did.


There came with the sender a guide as to the distance between the float and mystery box, the length was dependent on the depth of the tank. The two stiff bits of wire were clipped together with three little clips and adjusted to give a length 165mm, I snipped of the excess. The wires were then soldered together, ensuring that the float was at the correct angle.


Gasket goo was applied to both sides of the cork gasket and the float was inserted into the hole and the top plate lined up with the holes in the gasket and top of the tank and gradually the six littlebolts  were evenly tightened down. Dash board here I come

No comments:

Post a Comment