Thursday 30 January 2014

TREASURE

I am happy to report that things are back on track with Arthur and last Tuesday I and a chum had a trip down to Ditchling in Sussex to visit Arthur in his man cave, well actually much more like a cavern. I can only dream of having so much space and that many tools, even if I knew what to do with them.  Two left hand drive Beetle Backs were in production for customers in the USA, but most importantly there was a pile of goodies that had my name on them. TREASURE, steering rack, steering column, petrol tank, pedal box, master cylinders, handbrake lever and brake lines, now we can really get a move on.

Suspension shouldn't be much longer and an order was confirmed for exhaust pipes, dashboard, gear linkage, prop shafts, reversing gearbox etc. I had a list of queries which we talked through and I came away very excited and anxious to get the spanners out.



Despite the cold damp weather I wrapped up well and laid my new goodies out for the obligatory photo, the petrol tank although in its correct position has yet to be bolted down, but came complete with a lovely Monza style filler cap.

First job was to fit the pedals into the pedal box, the fit of each pedal on the shaft was too snug and the surplus black powder coat paint had to be filed away. It was the same problem between each pedal, but with some serious filing the pedals eventually swung freely back and forth after the box was bolted down. I intended to fit the bikes original clutch cable, but I had to drill out the hole at the top of the pedal for the nipple and also to widen the split to allow the nipple to rotate freely. I used the old hand break adjuster and although the cable is a tad too long I found a good route for it, that is out of sight with no tight bends and it works well. The photo show the mechanical break warning light fitted, but the rod from the master cylinder needs to be shortened and a clevis fitted before that can be bolted on.


Next job is to fit the steering rack and column, better get the steering wheel ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment