Sunday 1 March 2015

I'VE GOT IT COVERED

The hubs that is. I contacted a small firm of precision engineers, based in Sussex, they had originally modified my wheel hubs, before WheelWise laced the hubs and rims together. They quoted a week to make the three hub covers and true to their word they called me on Thursday to say they were ready, the next day I went and collected them. Superb, they fit perfectly and all I now need are the mudguards and stays and Arthur is getting that organised as I type




The other outstanding job was finding out why the speedometer wasn't working. I managed to wiggle my way in between pipes and cables, detach the cable and extract the worm drive from the gearbox, all fine there. Eventually I realised that the ferrule at the instrument end of the cable had worked loose, effectively shortening the length of the inner cable to the extent it wasn't locating in the square drive at the gearbox end.

I pushed the ferrule back on, temporally connected up the speedo and tried it out and it worked fine. I was able to do this as the reversing box has a central neutral position, with the engine running and in first gear the gearbox turned over, but drive wasn't passed onto the back wheel, allowing me to see the speedo working without leaving the garage. I fixed the speedo back into the dash and ticked another job of the task list. Just want to get the number plate to fill that space between the rear lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment